The Church of Santissima Annunziata of Gaeta
The church of Santissima Annunziata of Gaeta (also known as a sanctuary) was founded in 1321 and was consecrated in 1352. It was built outside the city walls and included a charitable orphanage and hospital for the sick. The church and hospital underwent expansions and renovations in the 1400’s and 1500s. The structure that we see today, situated close to the sea front along Lungomare Giovanni Caboto, was restructured in 1624 in a Baroque style by the Italian sculptor and architect Dionisio Lazzari of Naples.
The Facade of the Church Santissima Annunziata
The facade is by Andrea Lazzari and is topped with a bell tower and a majolica clock is the work of Matteo De Vivo.
The Interior of the Church Santissima Annunziata
The interior of the church is also in a high Baroque style and has a single nave. The altar by Dionisio is of polychrome marble. The polyptych behind the altar is the work of Andrea Sabatini of Salerno. The wooden choir stalls are by Colangelo Pomace and there is a 17th century pipe organ by Giuseppe de Martino. Other notable works of art are by Sebastiano Conca, Luca Giordano, Andrea Scapuzzi and Giacinto Brandi .
The Capella D’Oro or Grotta D’Oro
The pièce de résistance of the church is a chapel known as La Capella D’Oro or La Grotta D’Oro. It has a guilded barrow vault which has 19 paintings by Giovanni Filippo Criscuolo who was born in Gaeta in approximately 1495. Gaeta and was an artist of the late Renaissance period. These works of art depict the life of Christ and the Madonna. The altarpiece of the Immaculate Conception is the work of Scipione Pulzone.
The Church is located in Via Annunziata.
The Church of SS Annunziata and the Capella D’Oro is open every day from 10.00 to 12.00 and 17.00 to 19.oo.