The Church of San Giacomo Apostolo of Gaeta
The church of San Giacomo Apostolo was founded in the heart of the fishing village, in the borgo of Porto Salvo, once known as Elena. The church is also known as San Giacomo di Terra Rossa. Construction took place between 1517 and 1605. Nearby was the church of Sant’Andrea. Side altars were added to the nave in the 17th century. The church was damaged during the siege of 1734 and was subsequently repaired. In 1810, in his will, Giuseppe Ianniti requested that some items should be transfered to the church of San Giacomo, from the former church of Santa Caterina d’Alessandria. These included an ornate Baroque marble altar and a font for holy water.
The church was partially damaged in 1944, during World War II and was later restored. In 1965 the church underwent major reconstruction work. This included creating a new facade, facing onto Via Indipendenza, a wide entrance hall and a square apse in a modern style. The vaulted nave has four shallow side altars. The church houses several interesting works of art such as the “Sacred Conversation” by Santillo Sannini (1695), also the “Adoration of the Magi” and “Adoration of the Shepherds” of Nicola Malinconico. The church is also adorned with some modern mosaics and colourful stained glass windows.