The Church of San Giuda Taddeo o Sant’Onofrio in Gaeta
The first church, built in the 16th century, was dedicated to Sant’Onofrio. Over the centuries it was damaged during various attacks and sieges because of its highly exposed position and it was finally abandoned. The building was completely restored by King Ferdinand II in 1853 and it was re-dedicated to San Giuda Taddeo. The restoration works were carried out by Giacomo Guarinelli.
The building is situated on the ridge of Monte Orlando, and is constructed in a Neo-Gothic style. The edges of the roof are crenellated and the facade has a rose window above a Gothic style doorway. The interior has been stripped of all decoration and the church is closed to the public.