The Church of San Nicola in Gaeta
The ruined Church of San Nicola is situated close to the Church of Santa Maria della Sorresca and near the Church of San Giovanni della Porta. It was first documented in the year 958. In the 13th century the bell tower was probably erected and in the 14 century the building underwent radical restoration work in the Gothic style. Between the 17th and the 18th centuries the interior was adorned in the baroque style with decorative elements in stucco plasterwork. The church was suppressed in 1809 following Napoleon’s invasion. The church became of abandoned and fell into ruin. Some of the structure was incorporated into residential housing. In September 1943 what remained of the vault was ruined during the bombardment of Gaeta in World War II. The site is now a private garden.