The Church of Santa Lucia in Gaeta
The church of Santa Lucia is situated in the very heart of the historical Medieval Centre of Gaeta on the corner of Via Ladislao and Salita Chiaramonte. It is thought to be one of the oldest churches in Gaeta, dating from the VII and VIII century. It was first documented in 976. It was originally dedicated to Santa Maria in Pensulis. From 1387 it served as the Royal Chapel where the young King Ladislaus and his wife Queen Costanza Chiaramonte would come to pray. The church was re-consecrated in 1765 by Bishop Carmignani.
The church has an elegant Arabic-Sicilian bell tower. The interior has three aisles which are separated with marble columns decorated with ornate capitals. Some small frescoes are visible in the apse and there is evidence of the presence of mullion windows that have been bricked up. Over the years the church has undergone several modifications, the most significant perhaps being that of 1648 when it was redecorated in a Baroque style, and in 1930 when these decorations were removed and it was reverted to its original Gothic style. Inside there are works by the artist Giovanni da Gaeta.
The church has been deconsecrated and closed for worship. It is now owned by the town council of Gaeta. On occasions, however, it is used as a place for civil marriage ceremonies. In addition it has been converted into a venue for classical concerts and other artistic and cultural events.