The Church of Santi Cosma e Damiano
The church, situated in the heart of the fishermens’ district of Porto Salvo, is one of the oldest churches of Gaeta. It was first documented in 997 when Bishop Bernardo, son of Marino Duke of Gaeta, ordered the reconstruction of a sacred building following its destruction by the Saracens in the year 844. The church was restructured during the 16th century and again in the 17th century in a Baroque style. Sadly some ancient frescoes were lost.
During World War II, the church was severely damaged and subsequently rebuilt in the 1950’s in a small size. The 17th century marble altars were transferred to the church of Santa Maria di Porto Salvo.
The plain facade is adorned by a monumental portal with a dedicatory inscription from 1749. On the right side of the church is a 19th-century bell tower. The interior is rather bare and austere, however there is a valuable stone baptismal font dating from 1591. The facade faces onto Via Indipenzenza.
In Porta Salvo there were also the churches of Sant’Andrea and San Sergio and Santa Maria di Torre d’Oria.