The Sanctuary of the Santissima Annunziata of Gaeta
The elegant Sanctuary of the Santissima Annunziata was founded in 1321 and was consecrated in 1352. It included a charitable orphanage and hospital for the sick. The church and hospital underwent expansions and renovations in the 1400’s and 1500s. The structure that we see today, close to the sea front, was restructured in 1624 in a Baroque style by the Italian sculptor and architect Dionisio Lazzari of Naples.
The facade is by Andrea Lazzari and is topped with a bell tower and a majolica clock is the work of Matteo De Vivo.
The interior of the church is also in a high Baroque style and has a single nave. The altar by Dionisio is of polychrome marble. The polyptych behind the altar is the work of Andrea Sabatini of Salerno. The wooden choir stalls are by Colangelo Pomace and there is a 17th century pipe organ by Giuseppe de Martino. Other notable works of art are by Sebastiano Conca, Luca Giordano, Andrea Scapuzzi and Giacinto Brandi .
The Capella D’Oro
The pièce de résistance of the church is a chapel known as La Grotta D’Oro. It is a guilded barrow vault which has 19 paintings by Giovanni Filippo Criscuolo of Gaeta, depicting the life of Jesus Christ and the Madonna. The altarpiece of the Immaculate Conception is the work of Scipione Pulzone.
The History of Gaeta Medieval Gaeta The Cathedral of San Erasmo The Church of San Francesco More Churches of Gaeta The Harbour and Port The Quarter of Porto Salvo Monte Orlando Gaeta Beaches Gaeta General The Gaeta Yacht Med Festival Gaeta Food Festival and the Tiella Gaeta Feast Days and Celebrations Gaeta Surnames