More Places of Worship in Gaeta
The Santuario della SS Trinità
The Sanctuary of the SS Trinità is situated on the west side of Monte Orlando. It was founded in the 11th century and was annexed to a Benedictine monastery. It was restored by the Alcantarini fathers in the 19th century. To the right of the church, there is a corridor which is decorated with majolica tiles depicting “The Stations of the Cross“. Nearby is the Turk’s Grotto and the 14th century Cappella del Crocefisso. Read more
The Church of the Madonna del Santissimo Rosario
This small church is located in Via Aragonese. Originally it was dedicated to San Tommaso Apostolo and was first documented in 1135. The church was restored in 1725 by Bishop Pignatelli. In 1809 the parish was suppressed during the French occupation. Consequently the Brotherhood of the Rosary was transfered from the convent of San Domenico to this church. Many items were relocated here such as the main an altar and balustrade bearing the coat of arms of the Brotherhood by Dionisio Lazzari, an altarpiece depicting the “Madonna del Rosario with San Domenico and Santa Caterina da Siena” by Sebastiano Conca. The church also houses the 18th century statue of the Madonna del Rosario.
The building has a simple facade with a curved top. Above the portal is a small stone carving representing the Virgin Maria with the Rosary Crown. On the right side of the chapel there is a bell tower which is thought to have been built in the 18th century.
Church of San Carlo Borromeo and Sant’Anna
The construction of the church of San Carlo Borromeo commenced in 1606 and it was consecrated in 1620 by the bishop of Gaeta Pietro de Oña. In 1800 it was damaged during the sieges of Gaeta and again during the Second World War. In the 1950’s it underwent major restoration work, where many of the baroque decorations were removed. The church underwent further restorations in the 1970’s and’ 1990’s.
The facade has a rosette window and is topped by some decorative architrave in a triangular shape, and a metal crucifix. To the left of the church is the bell tower. The church is rectangular in shape with a single nave with six shallow niches along the sides. There is a simple modern altar and the apse has a colourful stained-glass window. The baptismal font, in local stone, dates back to the 18th century.
The church is located in the La Piaja district of Gaeta, near the seafront of Lungomare Caboto. The left side of the building faces onto Piazza San Carlo.
The Church of Santa Maria della Catena
This small church was built in 1635. It was once a hermitage, built above the beach of Fontania in a place that was known as Santa Fortunata, dates back to the 17th century (1635). Over the centuries it was a place of retreat and was inhabited by hermits.
It was visited by Pope Pius IX in 1849 during his period of exile in Gaeta. Shortly afterwards, at the behest of King Ferdinand II, the church was restored and a presbytery and a dome were added. From 1940, the attached monastery was entrusted to the care of the nuns of the order Adoratrici del Sangue di Cristo. The church was damaged during the Second World War and subsequently, in 1950, it was repaired. The building was also expanded on the seaward side. The church was remodelled in 1997, the facade was simplified and all the baroque decoration was removed. The little church is located in a small square that opens along the narrow Via della Catena.
The Church of Santa Maria del Suffragio
The church of Santa Maria del Suffragio was built in 1850. It is the largest chapel in the cemetery of Gaeta , and is positioned at the main entrance. The cemetery itself was created in 1841 and is situated in Via Garibaldi in the Serapo district of Gaeta.
Church of San Paolo Apostolo
This church is located in Piazza Trieste in Gaeta.
Church of Santo Stefano
This modern church is situated in Via dei Frassini.
The Sanctuary of San Nilo Abate
The Sanctuary of San Nilo is located in the Serapo district of Gaeta.
The Chapel of the Madonna del Colle
The chapel is situated on a hill in the outskirts of Gaeta in Via del Colle
The Chapel of the Madonna della Conca
The Chapel of the Madonna della Conca lies at the foot of Monte Conca, quite near to the coast. It was built in 1639 by the Benedictine nuns of the church of Santa Caterina d’Alessandria in Gaeta.
Photos have been accredited to the Photographer / Owner or with details of the appropriate Creative Commons License.
Images marked * are in the Public Domain.
All other photos I have taken myself and belong to me © Louise Shapcott