Church of the Santissima Vergine Addolerata
The church is situated in Via Annunziata close to the Church of the Santissima Annunziata. The earliest church, first documented in 1024, was dedicated to Pope San Gregorio and stood outside the town walls. In the 14th century the church was reconstructed in a Gothic style. From 1762 until 1841 the structure became a seminary, before becoming a convent and college for educating girls of the nobility run by sister of the Mantellate order. The attached chuch was dedicated to the Vergine Addolorata.
In the mid 1800’s King Ferdinand II ordered the restoration of the church, in a Neo-Classical style. The church became the chapel of the adjacent Royal Palace. However, following the Unification of Italy the convent was suppressed, but the church was still allowed to function. In 1900 the convent became the property of the town of Gaeta. In 1907 it was put up for sale and was purchased by the Sisters of the Adoratrici dell’ Eucaristia. During the First World War the building was used as a military hospital, but it was given back to the nuns in 1918.
The Neo-Classical church facade is thought to have been the work of Federico Travaglini, and dates from 1855. The entrance is accessed via two symmetrical flights of stairs. To the left of the church is the convent.
Behind the main altar is preserved the statue of the “Addolorata“. There is a side chapel dedicated to San Filippo Benizzi. On the left wall is a balcony covered with a metal grate, from behind which the Royal Bourbon Family could watch over the church’s religious ceremonies.